The following article discusses how Shanghai Yaohua Pilkington Glass Group Co., Ltd. (SYP Group) – one of China’s first publicly listed glass manufacturers – ended up writing a letter of recommendation for Sparklike Handheld™ devices, the first and only non-destructive insulating glass gas fill analysers for standard double glazed insulating glass units.
SYP Shanghai's Letter of Recommendation for Sparklike Handheld™ device
The huge conflicts between the worldwide energy crisis and China energy demand and supply, draw unprecedented attention towards energy conservation, especially within the construction industry since buildings take up to one third of the overall energy consumption. In addition, along with the people’s mentality changing towards energy saving, the curtain wall usage on architectural buildings also saw a significant increase. All these changes compelled the Insulated Glazing development trends toward Low-E coated IG, even gas filling whilst including triple glazed units.
In addition, the code EnEv2009 (even EnEv2012) in Germany made a very high requirement on insulation of architectural curtain wall. According to the European projects that SYP Group had worked on, most of the projects require that the IG must have 16mm spacers, Argon gas filling and double Low-E coatings. It was only with these configurations that allowed the IG manufacturers to meet the U value specified by this German Code.
Furthermore, base on the more and more project orders from Europe and the Americas, SYP Group started the study on how to gas fill and quality control the gas fill. To that end, they acquired the first Gasglass 1002 – the predecessor of Sparklike Handheld™ devices – from Sparklike in 2005, only few years after the launch of these world's first and only non-destructive Argon fill analysis for standard double glazed insulating glass units.
Sparklike Handheld™ device allow non-destructive Argon measurement in 2 seconds or less.
After many tests on the specimens, and applied Sparklike technology to the quality monitoring during the production process enabled SYP Group to accumulate significant Argon test experience, and allowed them to recognize the importance that Sparklike equipment can bring to the production process:
- As the one and only non-invasive test method for Argon gas concentration measurement in IG, it is definitely an innovation. It is not like gas chromatography or other oxygen test methods, which requires destroy the IG construction itself, and the IG cannot be used any more. When using the Sparklike test analyzer, there's no need to destroy the IG structure. In addition, at the same time the device operator can obtain accurate Argon gas concentration figure.
- Easy to use. Such device does not limit the usage environment in laboratory only, on the contrary, due to the easy use, only require simple training and technique demonstration, the inspector on production line may pick up easily.
- The Sparklike Handheld™ analyzer is mobile with free movements which enables the device operator to monitor at any time, hence it is the best partner of production line for Argon gas concentration control.
- The equipment maintenance is easy. With the correct operation including simple maintenance measures the analyzer may stay stable for a long term.
- The annual Sparklike CARE provided by Sparklike is kind of safety warranty for the users.
According to the above mentioned advantages of Sparklike device™, all SYP group's subsidiaries acquired four Sparklike Handheld™ respectively in years 2007, 2008 and 2009 whilst been successfully applied to different IG lines for stable use, exert its great function at quality control.